Uphold is a platform with a combination of trading assets like cryptocurrency, equities, and metals. We will discuss its features, products, prices, supported wallet, safety, fees, and much more in detail in this Uphold review.
Table of Contents
- Uphold a crypto exchange is a platform that provides trading of multiple assets from one single interface.
- The multi-asset trading platform offers cryptocurrencies, precious metals, and U.S. equities.
- A unique product called environmental asset is offered. This is more than just financial gain. This product helps combat climate change.
- A wide range of digital wallets like Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP, and others are available.
What is Uphold?
Uphold is a platform that aims to change the way people access money. It is a multi-asset platform providing financial services to the global financial market. The multi-assets include cryptocurrencies, metal, U.S. equities, and national currencies. In addition, the platform facilitates quick conversions from one asset to another. For example, presently, they allow for Bitcoin to Gold.
- Cost-effective: There are no trading commissions, deposits, or withdrawal charges. However, the platform will charge a depositing charge for a credit card at 3.99%. In addition, while there are no withdrawing fees, there are standard crypto network fees on a non-profit basis. Also, if you have to convert your currencies, your deposit charges may increase depending upon your country. First, you will have to convert currencies. However, the platform claims low-cost currency conversion between sixty-seven currencies and precious metals.
- Easy access: The interface of the platform is easily accessible. Almost everything is easily found to the eyes. Undoubtedly, a suitable beginner-friendly platform. In addition, opening an account is a quick process and does not take time to start trading your assets.
- Fast deposits: You can make quick deposits from crypto banks and crypto-wallets. However, note that deposits from bank accounts are only available in the U.S. and Europe.
- Unique trading experience: You get a unique advantage to trade directly between asset classes in one place. Thus saving time, energy, and money. For businesses, there are advantages like free storage of funds. Here they can hold as many currencies and assets relevant to their business.
- Time-saving: Time-saving for apparent reasons. The platform allows for the most popular wallets. Thus allowing for the maintenance of all the assets in one platform. In addition, other than cryptocurrencies, you also get to trade other assets like equities, metals, and stocks.
- API: The API of the platform provides payment options through various digital wallets. In addition to these wallets, the platform lets the users create and connect to the Uphold wallet. Then, you can transfer your funds to these wallets. The API also helps in automated payouts. This is a great benefit for businesses. Furthermore, you also get an opportunity to become an app partner. The user has to list their product on the platform’s app center. This way, you will promote yourself as an uphold partner.
Uphold Review: Products Offered
The platform provides 72 digital currencies. They provide the user with meaningful guides on basic queries. For example, what is bitcoin? What is a cryptocurrency? And a few others.
The integration with multiple blockchain networks helps in easing the process of trading. The interface of the platform does half of your job by easily calculating amounts for you. In addition, they specify the significant value of the currency when you trade in your local currency.
2. Precious Metals
Uphold provides precious metals like gold, silver, platinum, and palladium. The liquidity generated is worth mentioning. Since the liquidity generated is 27 national currencies. In addition, there are zero custody costs. All of this is spendable by the Uphold debit card. Furthermore, the process of buying metals is made easy through bank connectivity to 36 countries. Other tools making the process of buying smooth are payments via debit and credit card.
Before we talk in detail about this product, it is essential to mention that Uphold stocks provide only U.S. equities. You get to purchase U.S. equities as low as $1. Since with small amounts, you will get proportional ownership. The dividends will be paid in cash. You can again purchase these U.S. equities with banks, crypto wallets, and debit/credit cards. The U.S. equities that you can buy are TSLA, AMZN, GOOGL, NFLX, FB, and other popular equities.
4. Environmental Assets
A very unique and not so found product in any other exchange. Environmental assets are for those who look forward to something more than mere financial gains. These types of investments help the environment and create an impact. You can invest with pioneered institutional investors like Yale Endowment Fund and Wellcome Trust. Uphold’s first environmental token carbon credit is the first tradable token to be held, bought, and sold as an investment.
5. Debit Card Review
The platform already has a debit card. However, they are launching a new debit card which will be the improved version. Having a debit card from a platform comes with a lot of benefits. With its debit card, you can pay with any asset you want. The card offers several features.
Also read, Uphold Card Review – Is it Legit or Scam?
Presently the card is available in the U.S. and not in the UK and EU.
Limit orders are the tools that let you limit any transaction. With Uphold, you get to set limit orders up to fifty using one pool of capital. Since the limit orders are fifty, you can efficiently utilize it within your portfolio. This product is unique as most of the platform provides a few limited orders. Herewith one portfolio, you can simultaneously limit orders on different assets. However, this product involves risk. It is essential to understand that you must have a good knowledge of the market. Beginners may get overwhelmed.
The platform is yet to launch its staking product. You can join the wishlist and earn by staking coins like Polkadot and Ethereum up to 10.25% and 4.25% per year. At launch, Uphold lets you stake these two coins. Soon they will allow for other coins like Cardano. Cosmos, and Solana. The period may vary from three to thirty days.
Also read, Best Crypto Staking Coins
8. Automated Trading
Automated trading lets you do the Dollar Cost Averaging. With Dollar Cost Averaging, you get to save yourself from volatility. You can schedule your transactions using AutoPilot. This AutoPilot mode allows you to set up recurring buy or sell orders. Thus saving you from price volatility.
Also read, Best Paid And FREE Crypto Trading Bots
Uphold Review: Digital Wallets
The platform provides digital wallets for different cryptocurrencies. These wallets are Uphold’s wallets, and these wallets are not decentralized. The wallets are beginner-friendly as they can be used via the web and mobile. Uphold’s wallets are available on iOS, Android, and the web. To know more about these wallets in detail, click here.
Is Uphold Wallet Safe?
Yes, the platform provides you with multiple choices on its wallets. You can opt for any kind of wallet like desktop, mobile, web, hardware wallets, etc. In addition, the platform follows the industry security standard to protect your funds.
You also get 24/7 support from the team. Almost 90% of the funds are held in cold storage. And finally, they also hold your keys so no more worrying about custody.
Uphold Review: Fees and Charges
There are two different sets of service fees. One for a personal account and the other for business users. Read below to know the Uphold fees review in detail.
Service fees: Personal Accounts
- In the U.S. and Europe, the spread is about 0.8% to 1.2% on BTC and ETH. In other parts of the world, the charges are about 1.8%.
- Spreads are high for low-liquidity cryptos and tokens. So check the rates before trading.
For Precious Metals:
- The spread for metals is 3%.
For Fiat Currencies:
- The spread for fiat currencies is 0.2% between major national currencies such as EUR, USD, and GBP.
For U.S. Equities:
- The spread here for U.S. equities is 1%. The charges typically increase when you trade when the U.S. market is closed. The U.S. market hours are between 9.30 to 4 PM ET on business days.
Service Fees: Business Accounts
For business accounts, there are certain charges as follows:
- Convert and Buy: The platform charges an exchange fee when a user buys/converts between charges. The charge depends on a specific percentage value of the transaction amount. In addition, there are price protection fees. There is a difference of 0.75% above or below the market rate.
- Withdrawal Charges: When withdrawing funds via crypto, the charges are $2.99. And when withdrawing via bank transfer, the fee then is $3.99.In addition, there are other charges like third-party costs, wire costs depending upon geographical location, and blockchain network fees.
- On Currencies and Commodities: Opening an account and holding funds is free of cost. All you have to do is make sure that you keep your account active. However, when funding with a debit/credit card, the charges are 3.99%. There are no fees or charges regardless of the currency or frequency when sending and receiving money between Uphold customers.
Note: There are Uphold transaction fees, which is the spread charge. Always check the preview before confirming an order.
Is Uphold safe to use?
Uphold claims to protect your money and privacy. Let us go through the security protocols in detail.
- Access and Encryption: The platform has layered defenses to protect it from potential attacks.
- Third-party Due Diligence: The platform providers undergo appropriate diligence checks.
- 24/7 Overwatch: The security operations center monitors and responds to any threats immediately.
- Auditing and Testing: Security professionals regularly conduct security auditing and testing of the system.
- Personnel Standards: The Uphold team is chosen and regularised with a background check by the accredited vendor.
- Bug Bounty Programme: The platform runs a Bug Bounty Programme. If there are any bugs or security issues on the platform, users reporting it will get rewards. The program is worked with a bug bounty platform called Intigriti.
Other Security Features:
- Verification of users.
- You can enable two-step verification.
- The platform maintains a vital password requirement.
- Saves you from scams and phishing.
- Total transparency is provided. At any time, you can check the reserve holdings of Uphold and ensure that your funds are safe.
License and Certificates:
Uphold is registered by FinCEN as a Money Service Business in the United States. In the United Kingdom, they are registered as an EMD agent of electronic money issuers regulated by the FCA. They also stand by Anti-money laundering (AML) controls. So, they are committed to compliance with all applicable laws and regulations in the United States, Europe, and Internationally.
In addition, they are in full compliance with Office of Foreign Assets and Control (OFAC) regulations. As articulated in Bank Secrecy Acts, currency transaction reports and other reporting requirements are done.
And finally, the platform is certified to PCI/DSS security standards. PCI/DSS is a security standard maintained for cards to maintain a secure environment.
Uphold Review: Customer Service
The Uphold support system is generous. The support is provided through developers, prospective business partners, help, media, compliance-related queries, and a few others. In addition, they have separate help mail ids and pages.
- For general inquiries, questions and suggestions, you can contact their support team here on this page.
- If you want to connect with prospective business partners, mail them at [email protected]
- For developers and questions about their API, mail them at [email protected]
- Are you a member of the media? mail them at [email protected]
- Have a compliance-related question? mail them at [email protected]
- Just want to say hi? Mail them at [email protected]
How to Use Uphold
- First, go to the official web page of Uphold, and then click on Sign-up.
- You will then be asked for specific information like email-id, country, and citizenship. Set a password for yourself and sign-up.
- You will then be asked your name and birth date. Confirm the details.
- Give your number, and they will then verify it. Then, they ask for your home address.
- Verify your mail. Your Uphold account is then created.
NOTE: The platform further asks you details like your job title, yearly income, expected depositing amount, and a few other related questions. Once that is done, you get access to your account. The security is pretty standard. Very few websites ask for detailed information even while signing up and creating an account.
Uphold Review: Pros and Cons
|Beginner-friendly interface.||The fee structure can be overwhelming.|
|Pretty standard security protocols.||Educational content is less.|
|The platform provides products and features for both personal and business accounts.||Currency exchange will increase the cost of trading.|
|Low fees.||No live help or support is provided.|
|They provide digital wallets for popular cryptocurrencies.||There is no live chat system.|
|They provide a unique token to invest in environmental assets.|
|They have a debit card, both virtual and physical cards.|
|They provide up to fifty limit orders.|
|Investing assets is unique; there are assets like metals and equities in addition to cryptocurrencies.|
|They are PCI/DSS verified.|
Overall the platform is a good pick. However, there is a big cap for countries outside the UK, USA, and Europe. The cost-effectiveness of the platform will reduce while changing currencies. Other than this, it is excellent when we look at the security factor. They have their platform licensed by famous financial institutions. Furthermore, they are also PCI/DSS verified.
When it comes to equities, it is restricted to only U.S. equities, which can be a disadvantage for a few. Staking is yet to be launched, also when launched staking will initially come with fewer coins to stake. There are various products, but the ones that an experienced trader would look for are missing. For example, staking, and a better market and spread for trading. For beginners, the platform is good since the interface is worth trying.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Uphold have an app?
No, there is no official Uphold app available for its users. However, you can link your Uphold wallet with their third-party applications. Note, that it is important that you do your research before connecting. Uphold does not hold any responsibility for these apps.
Where is Uphold located?
Uphold has their registered office located in England, Suite A, 6 Honduras Street, London, England, EC1Y 0TH.
Is Uphold a wallet?
No, Uphold is not a wallet. Uphold is a crypto exchange that supports both crypto and other investing assets like precious stones and metals.
Is Uphold a good exchange?
Uphold exchange is good for you if trading multiple assets from one single API. Uphold allows you to trade both stocks and cryptocurrencies.
Why is my Uphold account under review?
There can be many reasons why your account is under review. The platform may temporarily put your account under review to protect other members or to investigate.
It is best to contact the Uphold support team for assistance. Contact them here.